WE ARE HIRING
DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A MEMBER OF OUR YOUNG, DYNAMIC KITCHEN TEAM?
The Danish YWCA is a youth hostel primarily for young Danes staying in London. We act as a home away from home for them in the big city, by offering accommodation, giving advice, and offering help in crisis and challenging situations. In our beautiful, Victorian house in wonderful Hampstead, in North-West London, we can house up to 60 people. We have shared meals during the week and Sunday breakfast. We are a house with a strong sense of community, based on openness, friendliness, and helpfulness.
About the role
As a kitchen assistant at the Danish YWCA, you will actively contribute to our purpose of being a home away from home by preparing and serving homecooked meals, by maintaining a clean and inviting house for our residents and in providing welcoming atmosphere. You will be a part of our small, but dynamic kitchen team of two employees and 3-4 volunteers.
Working hours will be 40 hours per week with duties including cooking and cleaning for the residents of the house. You must be able to work independently, be flexible to working in shifts including evenings and weekends and with variety if duties and responsibilities.
In return you will become part of a lively house with a good atmosphere and sense of community. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience, an ideal position for a recent graduate from college.
General and required skills
- Basic cooking and baking skills using healthy ingredients
- Adaptability to working in a commercial kitchen
- Good time management and an understanding of the required standards for cleaning, food quality and hygiene
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of health and safety in a catering environment (applicants if they do not already have Food Hygiene Certificate Level 2 will be offered the course on employment)
- A great team player
- A willingness to learn and a positive attitude towards the wider staff of the hostels and residents
- It is desirable that applicants have wider cleaning skills but not essential
What we offer
- Payment according to the national minimum wage rates + 5%
- Accommodation in a shared room can be provided (accommodation offset will be £60.10/week)
- Free meals during working hours
- Auto enrolment pension
- Holiday – 2.33 per month (28 days, including Bank Holidays)
How to apply
If you want to know more about the job, please call us at 0207 435 7232 and we are happy to answer your questions.
If you would like to apply for this role, please submit your CV and a short covering letter to our email: email@example.com.